Monday 14 April 2014

BA3: Research into Bump Mapping

Bump Mapping in Maya (and many other 3D packages for that matter) is a great way to add new levels of depth to your 3D assets and is therefore very important in the modelling process. Bump maps are similar to Diffuse Maps, but instead of adding colour they add the illusion of 3D details to flat poly-planes, saving on your poly count and making your assets much easier to render in a games engine. I have found a great tutorial online that helped me when I was adding bump maps to my terrain in Maya, which you can see below:



With this tutorial I was able to understand the process of Bump Mapping and also apply it using Crazy Bump. The results of my bump mapping can be seen below in this screenshot of my model (in progress).


No comments:

Post a Comment